Thursday 31 March 2011

Greek Scholar Anaximander* and Babylon's Gnomon (Sundial)

Anaximander along with Thales are recognized 
as the founders of Mathematical Geography 
The Geek world became richer with the ushering
in of a sundial from Babylon by Anaximander.
Its working is explained in the following verse
                
             Sundial

Babylon's Gnomon
Behold the shadow
Time it shows
 Nature's Marvel
And no extra bill
Greek world shown
Lead by Anaxi
All can see
           Is simply a pole 
           Set in a hole
           Time be told
           As shadow rolled
And grows at will
But at noon be nil
Is Solaris magic
And the sundial ticks

* Anaximander was a disciple of Thales
  in Miletus
-------------------------------------------------


Wait my friends I will give you more
Thanks for entering my yellow door**
            I will make you walk with me for sure
            A healthy walk will be the best cure
Of boredom in life a nagging wife
A sore throat to doctor's knife                    
           See the world as I show thee
           Dream of places along with me


** Sorry friends, the door has gone for a makeover
    
            

No comments:

Post a Comment